Home Telephone Location New Telephone Numbers

Google Translate is not 100% accurate



Your marriage ceremony must be conducted under the current NI Executive restrictions. 


  • Marriage ceremonies are limited to 25 people. This includes the couple, witnesses, officiant and all guests (including children under 12).
  • Face masks must be worn by all except the couple being married or forming a civil partnership.  Current guidance states that children under the age of 13 do not have to wear a face mask.
  • Marriage ceremonies are not permitted to take place at a private dwelling, including the garden, unless one party is terminally ill.
  • Marriage ceremonies can take place in a person’s home if one of the parties is terminally ill with up to 10 people in attendance (this includes the couple, two witnesses and the officiant).

General information

If you plan to get married in the Newry, Mourne and Down District Council area it is important that you read all the information below carefully. 

Religious same sex marriage became lawful in Northern Ireland from Tuesday 1 September 2020.

Marriage Notice

You must give a minimum of 28 days’ notice to get married. If you don't give 28 days’ notice, you may need to postpone your marriage. You can give notice up to a year before the date of your marriage.

Religious Marriages

Religious ceremonies take place in a church, chapel or other building of worship. Services are conducted by authorised people, according to the relevant tradition.

If you are having a religious ceremony, you still need to give notice at the Registrar’s Office in the District you are getting married in.

Documents Needed to Get Married

Before you can get married, you and your partner need to complete a marriage notice form and produce essential documents.

Download marriage notice form - More Information:  www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro

The following documents must be provided by both you and your partner when returning your marriage notice forms:

  • Your full (long version) birth certificate.
  • Your passport or national identity card - the Registrar can advise on alternatives if you do not hold either of these.
  • A consent form (if you are aged 16 or 17).
  • If you have been married before and the marriage was dissolved, a certificate of divorce or annulment or a certified copy decree (decrees must be absolute or final).
  • If you have entered into a civil partnership before, a court order of dissolution for that partnership.
  • If you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner, the death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner.

All documents must be in English otherwise a translated copy must also be provided.

Please do not post original documents. Payment can be made by cheque, payable to Newry Mourne and Down District Council, or card payment by phoning 0330 137 4041.  

If you need any advice in relation to your wedding, please email registration@nmandd.org or telephone 0330 137 4041

Once you have given notice, we will let you know when you can collect the marriage schedule. Only the bride or groom can collect the marriage schedule and give it to the marriage officiant.

If you have decided to have your ceremony at our Registrar’s Office in either Newry or Downpatrick, or at one of our approved venues, please contact us for availability and advice.