Responsibility for the majority of local planning functions formally transferred from the Department of the Environment (DOE) to Newry, Mourne and Down District Council on 1 April 2015.
This means Newry, Mourne and Down District Council:
- receives and makes decisions on the majority of planning applications
- enforces breaches of planning permission
- makes tree preservation orders
- produced a local development plan outlining how land in Down and South Armagh should be used and developed in the future.
Further information on how the public can participate in the planning process is contained in the Council’s Statement of Community Involvement (SCI). (see download section below)
The Council's Planning Committee makes decisions about:
- all major applications
- all approvals which have received objections
- all refusals.
The Council delegate approval decisions to its planning manager for local applications which are not controversial and are in line with planning policy.
Regionally significant planning applications will be considered and decided by the Department of the Environment.
Applicants can lodge their planning applications at the Council Offices in the Downshire Civic Centre, Ardglass Road, Downpatrick or at the Council Offices in Monaghan Row, Newry.
To track current planning applications, find out about application fees, access information to help you make your planning application, find out if you need planning permission or to download an application form visit the Planning Portal.
Recent information on Planning Applications can be found at Planning Applications
You can contact the Planning Service on 0330 137 4036
Anthony McKay - Planning Manager
How we use information obtained in the Planning Application process is detailed in the Planning Portal - Privacy Notice listed below. It is important to consider this information.
- Updated Planning Portal Privacy Notice 20 January 2023
- scheme of delegation - december 2018
- statement of community involvement november 2017
- planning committee operating protocol - updated november 2021
- LDP Revised Timetable 2022
- NMDDC Planning Enforcement Strategy November 2019