Household Recycling Centres
8 of our 10 Household Recycling Centres are now operating on a restricted basis across the district.
Please see below the list of centres open and their restricted opening hours:
1. Newry HRC Monday - Friday 10am – 3.45pm (to facilitate closure at 4pm)
2. Camlough HRC Monday - Friday 10am - 3.45pm (to facilitate closure at 4pm)
3. Warrenpoint HRC Monday - Friday 10am - 3.45pm (to facilitate closure at 4pm)
4. Kilkeel HRC Monday - Friday 10am - 3.45pm (to facilitate closure at 4pm)
5. Crossmaglen HRC Tuesday -Thursday 10am - 3.45pm (to facilitate closure at 4pm)
6. Ballynahinch HRC Monday - Friday 10am - 3.45pm(to facilitate closure at 4pm)
7. Downpatrick HRC Monday - Friday 10am - 3.45pm(to facilitate closure at 4pm)
8. Castlewellan HRC Monday - Friday 10am – 3.45pm (to facilitate closure at 4pm)
Please monitor this webpage for future changes to HRC operating hours and key service changes.
There will also be an increase on the types and quantities of acceptable waste materials. This now includes previously accepted materials plus the following:
- Home furnishings (i.e. beds, three-piece suites)
- Quantities increased to a maximum of 6-8 bags (previously accepted materials)
- Larger items of wood (furniture must be broken down, load size restrictions still apply)
- Larger items of scrap metal (load size restrictions still apply)
Social distancing is in operation at our HRC sites, which may cause delays. Please be patient and do consider that if a queue has formed at a site that you should return at a less busy time.
We are constantly reviewing the number of days and hours of operation, with a view to increasing these at the earliest opportunity.
A full list of the various waste materials now accepted at HRCs is as follows:
• Wood / Metal waste (maximum of 6-8 black waste bags/equivalent in volume)
• Essential General Household (black bag) waste – maximum limit of 6-8 bags per household includes Garden Waste and Essential Mixed Dry Recyclable waste (paper, cardboard, cans and bottles only)
• Empty paint tins
• 2 x 5 litre tins of domestic waste paint (multiple partially filled tins will not be accepted)
• 2 x 5 litre containers of waste oil
• Small Electrical items i.e. microwaves, kettles, toasters etc
• Large Electrical items i.e. fridge, cooker (maximum of two items**)
• Waste for Reuse* (i.e. bicycles)
• Home furnishings (wood) provided they are broken down for disposal to wood waste container
• Mattresses* (maximum of two per week per property**)
* Warrenpoint HRC does not facilitate mattress or Reuse disposal
** Householders bringing larger items for disposal, must be accompanied by another
person in the same vehicle to assist in off-loading such items. Due to social distancing
measures, HRC staff are not permitted to assist in off-loading waste
We remind all residents that fly-tipping is illegal. We will seek to fine anyone caught dumping waste outside our sites, CCTV remains in operation at our Household Recycling Centres.
We ask that you avoid producing excess amounts of waste by doing house or garage clearances, tidying up your garden, DIY etc. Every bit of waste we can reduce will make a real difference to maintaining a good service for everyone.
Presort your waste. Centre users must sort their waste for recycling. Users will not be allowed to dispose of recyclable waste in the general waste stream. For more information on why you must presort your waste please click here.
Thank you for your co-operation in helping keep our district clean and safe.
Where Is Your Local Household Recycling Centre (HRC)
Ballykine HRC, Ballynahinch. Telephone: 078 1753 1912
Bann Road HRC, Castlewellan. Telephone: 0330 137 4722
Camlough HRC, Quarter Road, Camlough. Telephone: 0330 137 4540
Downpatrick HRC, Flying Horse Road, Downpatrick. Telephone: 0330 137 4454
Crossmaglen, Newry Road, Crossmaglen. Telephone: 0330 137 4541
Hilltown HRC, Rostrevor Road, Hilltown. Telephone: 0330 137 4542
Kilkeel HRC, Ballymageogh Road, Kilkeel. Telephone: 0330 137 4543
Newry HRC, Chapel Road, Newry. Telephone: 0330 137 4544
Newtownhamilton HRC, Newry Road, Newtownhamilton. Telephone: 0330 137 4545
Warrenpoint HRC, Upper Dromore Road, Warrenpoint. Telephone: 0330 137 4546
Opening Times: For a list of operarting restricted opening times during COVID-19 click here
|HRC||Day||Summer (1 April - 30 September)||Winter (1 October - 31 March)|
|Monday – Friday||9.00am - 5.45pm||9.00am - 4.45pm|
|Saturday||9.00am - 4.45pm||9.00am - 4.45pm|
|Hilltown||Monday||10.00am - 5.45pm||10.00am - 4.45pm|
|Wednesday - Friday||10.00am - 5.45pm||10.00am - 4.45pm|
|Saturday||10.00am - 4.45pm||10.00am - 4.45pm|
|Tuesday & Sunday||Closed||Closed|
Late Opening: Summer Hours (1 April – 30 September)
|Camlough||Wednesday||9.00am - 6.45pm|
|Tuesday||9.00am - 6.45pm|
|Thursday||9.00am - 6.45pm|
Opening Times- Ballynahinch, Castlewellan and Downpatrick HRC's.
|Day||1 October - 31 March||1 April - 30 September|
|Saturday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 4.45pm|
|Sunday||12.00pm - 3.45pm||12.00pm - 3.45pm|
|Monday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Tuesday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Wednesday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Thursday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Friday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
What Can I Recycle At My Local HRC?
Our staff may inspect your waste and ask you about its origin. They will also encourage you to recycle where possible. Please respect this as part of their role, failure to follow instruction may result in you being refused access to the facility.
Householders with car, small van / small trailer loads of fully sorted household waste for recycling will have free access to all sites. Please be aware height restrictive barriers to the height of 1.95m are in use at some sites.
Household waste is typically:
- The waste that you would normally put into your wheelie bin at home.
- Green waste from your garden. Please ensure branches are cut into suitable lengths.
- Items you would take with you when you move house. For example, you would not take the kitchen cabinets, doors, bathroom suites, etc. with you when you move house.
Site users must pre-sort their waste for recycling. Users will not be allowed to dispose of recyclable waste in the general waste stream. Please ensure material is flattened and broken down to allow maximum capacity of containers.
Large household items eg furniture is accepted - 3 items per day.
For health and safety reasons wheelie bins will not be permitted at the centre.
The following materials can be recycled at the HRC’s:
*Only available at specific sites:
- Plasterboard recycling only available at Kilkeel HRC and charges apply. (Maximum 6 sheets)
- Household paint is only allowed at Kilkeel, Camlough, Newry, Warrenpoint, Castlewellan and Ballynahinch HRCs.
- Tyres are only allowed at Kilkeel and Camlough HRCs. (Charges will apply)
**Limited amounts allowed per visit per day
- Cooking and engine oil restricted to 25 litres per visit per day
- Household paint restricted to 10 litres per visit per day. ( Where possible customers are asked to decant all paint into one tin and leave empty paint tins open to dry so that they may be recycled in the appropriate container.)
- Gas bottles/ tanks: We do not accept gas bottles/ tanks these should be taken to an approved gas appliance dealer.
The Council will accept commercial waste at the Kilkeel and Camlough sites ONLY. A charge will apply.
|Small van up to 1.5 GVW||£28.30|
|Small trailer up to 2 x 1.5 1.5 m||£28.30 (Council reserves the right to refuse admission over 1 tonne)|
|Large van assumed weight 0.84 tonne||£85.85|
|Large trailer ie horsebox/silage trailer||£85.85|
|Commercial recyclable waste||FREE (must be existing customer of trade waste collection)|
|Note: Collection charges are VAT exempt.|
Council will not accept commercial waste at any other site. Commercial customers must sort their waste for recycling and pay before disposal. Commercial customers will be refused disposal of paint, electrical items and construction and demolition waste. Users will not be allowed to dispose of recyclable waste in the general waste stream. A maximum of six bags of fully sorted recyclable waste can be disposed daily.
Please note: a permit system will soon be introduced for the disposal of wastes from certain vehicles.
If you need any further information, please contact:
Waste Department Customer Services Section
Telephone: 0330 137 4047