Household Recycling Centres
Household Recycling Centres
Following recent guidance from the Northern Ireland Executive, we have reopened 8 of our 10 Household Recycling Centres from Monday, 18 May on a restricted basis. Please see below the list of centres open and their restricted opening hours:
1. Newry HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
2. Camlough HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
3. Warrenpoint HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
4. Kilkeel HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
5. Crossmaglen HRC Tuesday -Thursday 10am - 4pm
6. Ballynahinch HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
7. Downpatrick HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
8. Castlewellan HRC Monday - Thursday 10am - 4pm
Restrictions will be placed on the types and quantities of waste materials that can be deposited.
We remind all residents that fly-tipping is illegal. We will seek to fine anyone caught dumping waste outside our sites, CCTV remains in operation at our Household Recycling Centres.
Restrictions: for details on HRC waste limits plus operating restrictions during COVID-19 please click here
We ask that you avoid producing excess amounts of waste by doing house or garage clearances, tidying up your garden, DIY etc. Every bit of waste we can reduce will make a real difference to maintaining a good service for everyone.
Presort your waste. Centre users must sort their waste for recycling. Users will not be allowed to dispose of recyclable waste in the general waste stream. For more information on why you must presort your waste please click here.
Thank you for your co-operation in helping keep our district clean and safe.
Where Is Your Local Household Recycling Centre (HRC)
Ballykine HRC, Ballynahinch. Telephone: 078 1753 1912
Bann Road HRC, Castlewellan. Telephone: 0330 137 4722
Camlough HRC, Quarter Road, Camlough. Telephone: 0330 137 4540
Downpatrick HRC, Flying Horse Road, Downpatrick. Telephone: 0330 137 4454
Crossmaglen, Newry Road, Crossmaglen. Telephone: 0330 137 4541
Hilltown HRC, Rostrevor Road, Hilltown. Telephone: 0330 137 4542
Kilkeel HRC, Ballymageogh Road, Kilkeel. Telephone: 0330 137 4543
Newry HRC, Chapel Road, Newry. Telephone: 0330 137 4544
Newtownhamilton HRC, Newry Road, Newtownhamilton. Telephone: 0330 137 4545
Warrenpoint HRC, Upper Dromore Road, Warrenpoint. Telephone: 0330 137 4546
Opening Times: For a list of operarting restricted opening times during COVID-19 click here
|HRC||Day||Summer (1 April - 30 September)||Winter (1 October - 31 March)|
|Monday – Friday||9.00am - 5.45pm||9.00am - 4.45pm|
|Saturday||9.00am - 4.45pm||9.00am - 4.45pm|
|Hilltown||Monday||10.00am - 5.45pm||10.00am - 4.45pm|
|Wednesday - Friday||10.00am - 5.45pm||10.00am - 4.45pm|
|Saturday||10.00am - 4.45pm||10.00am - 4.45pm|
|Tuesday & Sunday||Closed||Closed|
Late Opening: Summer Hours (1 April – 30 September)
|Camlough||Wednesday||9.00am - 6.45pm|
|Tuesday||9.00am - 6.45pm|
|Thursday||9.00am - 6.45pm|
Opening Times- Ballynahinch, Castlewellan and Downpatrick HRC's.
|Day||1 October - 31 March||1 April - 30 September|
|Saturday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 4.45pm|
|Sunday||12.00pm - 3.45pm||12.00pm - 3.45pm|
|Monday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Tuesday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Wednesday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Thursday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
|Friday||8.00am - 4.45pm||8.00am - 6.45pm|
What Can I Recycle At My Local HRC?
Our staff may inspect your waste and ask you about its origin. They will also encourage you to recycle where possible. Please respect this as part of their role, failure to follow instruction may result in you being refused access to the facility.
Householders with car, small van / small trailer loads of fully sorted household waste for recycling will have free access to all sites. Please be aware height restrictive barriers to the height of 1.95m are in use at some sites.
Household waste is typically:
- The waste that you would normally put into your wheelie bin at home.
- Green waste from your garden. Please ensure branches are cut into suitable lengths.
- Items you would take with you when you move house. For example, you would not take the kitchen cabinets, doors, bathroom suites, etc. with you when you move house.
Site users must pre-sort their waste for recycling. Users will not be allowed to dispose of recyclable waste in the general waste stream. Please ensure material is flattened and broken down to allow maximum capacity of containers.
Large household items eg furniture is accepted - 3 items per day.
For health and safety reasons wheelie bins will not be permitted at the centre.
The following materials can be recycled at the HRC’s:
*Only available at specific sites:
- Plasterboard recycling only available at Kilkeel HRC and charges apply. (Maximum 6 sheets)
- Household paint is only allowed at Kilkeel, Camlough, Newry, Warrenpoint, Castlewellan and Ballynahinch HRCs.
- Tyres are only allowed at Kilkeel and Camlough HRCs. (Charges will apply)
**Limited amounts allowed per visit per day
- Cooking and engine oil restricted to 25 litres per visit per day
- Household paint restricted to 10 litres per visit per day. ( Where possible customers are asked to decant all paint into one tin and leave empty paint tins open to dry so that they may be recycled in the appropriate container.)
- Gas bottles/ tanks: We do not accept gas bottles/ tanks these should be taken to an approved gas appliance dealer.
The Council will accept commercial waste at the Kilkeel and Camlough sites ONLY. A charge will apply.
|Small van up to 1.5 GVW||£28.30|
|Small trailer up to 2 x 1.5 1.5 m||£28.30 (Council reserves the right to refuse admission over 1 tonne)|
|Large van assumed weight 0.84 tonne||£85.85|
|Large trailer ie horsebox/silage trailer||£85.85|
|Commercial recyclable waste||FREE (must be existing customer of trade waste collection)|
|Note: Collection charges are VAT exempt.|
Council will not accept commercial waste at any other site. Commercial customers must sort their waste for recycling and pay before disposal. Commercial customers will be refused disposal of paint, electrical items and construction and demolition waste. Users will not be allowed to dispose of recyclable waste in the general waste stream. A maximum of six bags of fully sorted recyclable waste can be disposed daily.
Please note: a permit system will soon be introduced for the disposal of wastes from certain vehicles.
If you need any further information, please contact:
Waste Department Customer Services Section
Telephone: 0330 137 4047