Chairperson of Council
The current Chairperson is Councillor Charlie Casey (Sinn Féin).
Councillor Casey was elected to the Office of Chairperson on 20 May 2019.
Duties and Responsibilities
As Chairperson of Newry, Mourne and Down District Council, Councillor Casey has a number of duties and responsibilities:
- Presiding over Council Meetings
- Encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Newry, Mourne and Down by attending civic and public events
- Receiving distinguished visitors to the district
- Acting as host on behalf of the Council and the citizens of Newry, Mourne and Down at civic functions
- Acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- Supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals
- Promoting Newry, Mourne and Down’s business, commercial, cultural and social life
- Promoting Newry, Mourne and Down as a place of excellence in which to live, invest and create new jobs
- Promoting Newry, Mourne and Down as a premier tourist destination.
Oifig an Iúir
Newry BT35 8DJ
Telephone: 0300 013 2233