The Chairperson of Council is Councillor Michael Savage (SDLP). Councillor Savage was appointend to act as Chairperson on 6 June 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities
As Chairperson of Newry, Mourne and Down District Council, Councillor Savage has a number of duties and responsibilities:
- Presiding over Council Meetings
- Encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Newry, Mourne and Down by attending civic and public events
- Receiving distinguished visitors to the district
- Acting as host on behalf of the Council and the citizens of Newry, Mourne and Down at civic functions
- Acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- Supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals
- Promoting Newry, Mourne and Down’s business, commercial, cultural and social life
- Promoting Newry, Mourne and Down as a place of excellence in which to live, invest and create new jobs
- Promoting Newry, Mourne and Down as a premier tourist destination.
Oifig an Iúir
Newry BT35 8DJ
Telephone: 0330 137 4011