Councillors’ Allowances and Expenses
Our Councillors are paid allowances for the time, work and costs involved in representing the people of Newry, Mourne and Down. The Council’s scheme of allowances is based on the rules set out in legislation.
All Councillors are paid a basic allowance each year. This is for the work they all do as local Councillors, representing their constituents, travelling around the district and attending Council and Committee meetings.
Members who have extra duties and responsibilities are also paid a Special Responsibility Allowance for the extra work involved with their special responsibility.
The Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson receive separate allowances for their roles as First and Deputy First Citizens.
Full details of the Councillors’ scheme of allowances and payments made to Councillor are available on our website.
Telephone: 0300 013 2233
- councillor allowances return 2018-2019 table 1 allowances final
- councillor allowances return 2018-2019 table 2 support services final
- councillor allowances return 201718
- councillors year end return 310317
- scheme of allowances payable to councillors june 2017
- scheme of allowances payable to councillors august 2018
- scheme of allowances april 2019