Council registration offices are open to the public on an appointment only basis for birth registration services.
Please email your application form to email@example.com and we will call you to make an appointment.
Application forms are available from: www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro
The General Register Office (GRO) has been advised that the temporary provisions for claiming child benefit pre-registration finished on 31 October 2021. Therefore, please contact the registration office as soon as possible to arrange an appointment for birth registration.
Why do I Have to Register my Child's Birth?
If you or your partner have recently had a baby, you will need to register the birth. By law, your baby's birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of birth. You will also need proof of your child's birth for various purposes, for example, to claim child benefit, to register your baby with a doctor, obtain a passport, or start school. More Information: Birth Registration.
Who can Register a Birth?
The following people can register a child's birth:
- the mother or father of the baby – if you are a married couple. In the case of a child born outside marriage, the name of the father can only be recorded in the entry of birth if both parents are in attendance and sign the registration together. If either parent is unavailable, you should speak to the Registrar before registering the birth. Further information on unmarried fathers is available from the birth registration form.
- maternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, maternal aunt or maternal uncle of the baby who has knowledge of the birth
- the occupier of the premises where the baby was born
- any person present at the birth
- any person having charge of the child.
A birth can also be registered to two female parents under certain circumstances. For further information, we advise you to call a member of the Registration staff.
Where can the Birth be Registered?
In any Registration Office in Northern Ireland, provided the baby was born in Northern Ireland.
What you Receive when you Register?
Once the registration has been completed, a member of the Registration staff will issue the following:
- one free short birth certificate
- HS123 Infant Registration Form to register the baby with the Doctor to obtain a medical card.
Additional certified copies of Short or Full Birth Certificates may be purchased at a cost of £8 each at the time of registration. If you require a further birth certificate after registration, you may purchase from the General Register Office.
Ordering a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate After the Time of Registration
Certified copies of all births registered in Northern Ireland may only be obtained from:
General Register Office, NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR.
Telephone the General Register Office – 0300 200 7890 (ringing from within N Ireland/UK) or + 44300 200 7890 (ringing from outside N Ireland/UK) and paying by debit/credit card.
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro (Certificates can be ordered on line)
Introduction of Life Event Certificates in Irish and Bi-lingual English and Irish
The Marriage, Civil Partnership and Civil Registration (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2022 came into operation on Friday 11 March and enables certificates for new registrations to be produced with headings in Irish or bi-lingual English and Irish. When completing the registration form in the Newry, Mourne and Down District, you will be given the option to select your certificates in English, Irish or bi-lingual English and Irish.
All certificates produced from the registration will be in the language format selected and cannot be changed. The legislation applies to registrations going forward and will not apply retrospectively to life events.
The General Register Office, NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR, provides help and advice about the following issues:
- re-registration of a birth, for example, if you want to add the father’s name after the initial registration
- recording name changes.
Detailed information about these topics is available from http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro
Telephone: 0330 137 4041