Frequently Asked Questions
Leisure Centres, Sports Facility and Play Park Closures - Coronavirus Update
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council has made the decision to close all public buildings, except where statutory services are to be delivered. This decision was taken at an Emergency Council meeting on Monday 16 March and will be revisited on Monday 30 March. All our leisure and sports facilities therefore closed effective from 10pm on Monday 16 March.
Understandably we’ve had lots of queries since we announced our closure and we will do our best to try and answer everyone as soon as possible. To help reassure our customers, please find some of the frequently asked questions and answers.
We will continue to update you on the following online channels as and when we have further updates:
- NMD Be Active Facebook Page
- NMD Be Active App
- Newry Mourne and Down Facebook Page
- Newry Mourne and Down District Council website
1. I have paid for my membership in advance, will my membership be extended because of the closures?
'Paid in advance' members who have paid 3 months, 6 months or 12 months in advance will have their membership extended to reflect the closure.
2. I pay for my membership by direct debit, will you continue to process my direct debit payments even though you are closed?
All Direct Debit memberships will be suspended until further notice with pending collections scheduled for 1 and 15 April stopped. Direct Debits will not recommence until facilities reopen and members have received the appropriate extensions to their membership.
3. Now that the Leisure Centres have closed do I need to do anything to stop my Direct Debit payments?
Members do not need to take any action with regards to their membership account at this stage. Direct Debits will not recommence until facilities reopen.
4. I thought that Direct Debits had stopped but my direct debit was collected on 15 March. Am I due a refund?
As the decision to close facilities was taken on the 16 March it was not possible to stop the 15 March payment schedule. Direct Debits will not recommence until facilities reopen and all memberships will be extended to reflect the closure. So, if you have paid recently on the 1 or 15 March, then your membership will be extended so you won’t lose out.
5. I have paid for Council run swim lessons and/or I normally attend other group activities with the leisure centre so can I continue to attend them?
No, all Leisure Centre programmes are suspended due to the closure and courses such as swimming lessons will resume their current courses once facilities reopen. Anyone enrolled on the current swimming programmes will be transferred to the next upcoming course automatically when facilities reopen.
6. I still want to exercise but what can I do safely while the gym and pool is closed?
Continuing to exercise is currently recommended by the Public Health Agency so please continue to follow the latest guidance https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/
We hope to continue to support you to ‘Be Active’ at home. We will be sharing guidance on looking after your mental health as well as best practice and appropriate workout videos on our Be Active Facebook page.
Please note that guidance from the Fitness Industry Association states that you should always consult your doctor before participating or changing your physical activity program. You should understand that when participating in any exercise or exercise program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in any exercise program you agree to do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities and assume all risk of injury yourself.
7. How can I contact my local Leisure Centre if I have any questions?
In the first instance you should email your question or query to your local Leisure Centre using the following email addresses:
Ballymote Sports and Wellbeing Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Down Leisure Centre: email@example.com
Kilkeel Leisure Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Newry Leisure Centre: email@example.com
Newcastle Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
St Colman’s Sports Complex: email@example.com
We will get back to your query as soon as possible. Please include your telephone number within all email enquiries should we need to get in contact with you by phone.
You can also call us on 0330 137 4026.
8. The Council decision means facilities are closed until 30 March, does this mean I can go back to the facility on the 31 March? How will I know when Leisure and Sports Facilities reopen?
We are not sure yet and will be following the latest Public Health Agency and Government advice. We will be posting regular updates on our online communication platforms. Please keep checking these platforms for updates as we will announce in advance when facilities are due to re-open or if the closure period may be extended. Direct Debits will not recommence until facilities are operational again and members have received the appropriate extensions to their membership.
9. My Club or League currently have a service level agreement for use of council facilities. Do we get reimbursed for this closure period?
Dependent on your specific contract and arrangement with the Council, you will either be refunded, or your contract extended. If you have any questions or queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will get back to your query as soon as possible. Please include your telephone number within all email enquiries should we need to get in contact with you by phone. You can also call us on 0330 137 4930.
10. I have an event arranged that is scheduled to take place on Council property or site. Will this go ahead?
If the event is scheduled in the coming weeks during the advertised closure period, then your event is unlikely to go ahead. If you have any questions or queries you can email us on email@example.com or call us on 0330 137 4930.
11. Are the Play Parks in the district open?
No, all Play Parks are now closed. If you choose to exercise at home or in open spaces, you should continue to use advised social distancing principals and continue to follow Public Health Agency Advice. See https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/.