Leisure Services Information and FAQs
Indoor Leisure Reopening
Following the Northern Ireland Executive's recent announcements on the easing of COVID-19 restrictions we are pleased to confirm the further reopening of leisure services in Newry, Kilkeel and Down Leisure Centres.
The Return of General Swimming, Group Fitness, Health Suites and Soft Play
- General swimming or family fun swims have now resumed on a restricted capacity and can be booked on the NMD Be Active app or by calling 0330 137 4026.
- Autism friendly swim sessions have also recommenced. You can book and pay for your autism friendly swim sessions here
- Council led fitness classes are now available for customers to book on a restricted capacity and can be booked on the NMD Be Active app or by calling 0330 137 4026.
- Soft Play in Newry Leisure Centre has reopened with a restricted capacity. You can book and pay for your soft play tickets here
- Indoor Sports have also returned to our leisure centres. Leisure centre staff will be in contact with customers who have regular bookings. If you have a booking enquiry, please call us on 0330 137 4026 or email the leisure centre directly.
Following a detailed COVID-19 risk assessment the Council has decided to keep the sauna, steam rooms and spa pools within our leisure centres closed until further notice. The Council will keep this under review and any members who have access to these facilities within their membership package will receive appropriate discounts. All main swimming pools, learner and kids pools in the district will remain open.
We are currently still working on delivering our leisure centre swimming lesson programme in the safest way possible for our customers. Leisure centres will be contacting existing customers directly to accommodate them in our new swim programme which we hope to resume over the coming weeks. We hope to offer additional swimming lessons in the Autumn once we have completed this process.
Please be aware that for your safety we have extensive cleaning slots in between activity session. We will try to accommodate as many customers as possible but we also need to adhere to strict safety and social distancing guidelines.
Changing cubicles and lockers will be available in our swimming and gym areas, however there will be limited capacity. Showers will also be available in a limited capacity, we encourage our customers to arrive ready to train/ swim and shower at home where possible.
For all the information you need before coming to our leisure centres visit: https://www.newrymournedown.org/important-information
Booking Activity Sessions
You must now book your gym, swim, class and activity session in advance. You can book online or on our NMD Be Active app. You can also book your sessions by calling us on 0330 137 4026.
For further information and guidance on how to download the NMD Be Active app so you can book activity sessions in advance visit: https://www.newrymournedown.org/be-active-app
Outdoor Leisure Reopening
On 20 May the Northern Ireland Executive confirmed a full return to outdoor sport.
For further information see https://www.executiveoffice-ni.gov.uk/news/executive-confirms-relaxations-restrictions
All clubs and groups must adhere to their governing bodies guidance, for further information visit www.sportni.net
The following facilities and services will continue to REMAIN CLOSED:
Ballymote Sport and Wellbeing Centre and the Newcastle Centre will remain closed.
How will this affect my membership?
We want to reassure all our members that they will be given any appropriate discounts or extensions to their membership if impacted by COVID-19 restrictions and the closure of some of our leisure facilities. If you have an urgent query, you can get in touch using the following email addresses:
Newry Leisure Centre: email@example.com
Down Leisure Centre and Ballymote Sports and Wellbeing Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kilkeel Leisure Centre: email@example.com
Newcastle Centre: firstname.lastname@example.org