Keep Your Home Safe During the Festive Season
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council wish to highlight the potential home hazards associated with the festive season.
Councillor Naomi Bailie, Chairperson of Newry, Mourne and Down District Council explains, “Action taken now to protect your family can save money, time and heartbreak. When choosing a toy always buy from a reputable supplier. Visually and physically check the toy, look for a CE mark and follow the safety and age warnings.”
“When decorating your house ensure all Christmas tree lights have a ‘CE’ mark and conform to BS EN 60598, throw out any broken bulbs and damaged wires, don’t overload any sockets, double adapters or extension leads, as this can greatly increase the risk of fire in the home. Always remember to turn off Christmas tree lights and other decorative lights as part of your bedtime safety routine in the home. Keep candles out of reach of small children, make sure they are set on non-flammable dishes and keep decorations, cards and wrapping paper away from candles, fires, lights and heaters.”
Cllr Bailie concluded by saying, “Christmas is a time when many of us can enjoy decorating our homes especially if we have children or young visitors calling over this holiday period. It’s so important we stay safe and I hope that by warning people of the dangers everyone can have a safe and merry Christmas.”