MOURNE MOUNTAIN ADVENTURE 2016 - OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS
The Mourne Mountain Adventure is a youth challenge event held in the Mourne Mountains supported by Newry, Mourne and Down District Council, volunteer organisations, the uniformed and emergency services. It aims to promote individual and team resilience through a number of challenging processes including a mountain phase, water based activity and a task phase.
Objectives of MMA
- To showcase the Mourne Mountains as an alternative outdoor activity for young people
- To develop team working, decision making, co-ordination and communication skills
- To promote the good work of and provide engagement opportunities for the emergency services and volunteer organisations
- To contribute to a growth of self-reliance and personal responsibility, and to stimulate leadership qualities
- To develop personal fitness through healthy outdoor activity.
- To instil an appreciation of the landscape, wildlife and cultural heritage of the Mourne Mountains and of the vital importance of conserving this environment.
- To promote a sense of adventure and fun.
- To ultimately target hard to reach young people and engage them in risk taking activities in a safe environment.