Responsibility for the majority of local planning functions formally transferred from the Department of the Environment (DOE) to Newry, Mourne and Down District Council on 1 April 2015.
This means Newry, Mourne and Down District Council will
- Receive and make decisions on the majority of planning applications
- Enforce breaches of planning permission
- Make tree preservation orders
- Produce a local development plan outlining how land in Down and South Armagh should be used and developed in the future.
The Council's Planning Committee will make decisions about:
- All major applications
- All approvals which have received objections
- All refusals.
The Council will delegate approval decisions to its planning manager for local applications which are not controversial and are in line with planning policy.
Regionally significant planning applications will be considered and decided by the Department of the Environment.
Applicants can lodge their planning applications at the Council Offices in the Downshire Civic Centre, Ardglass Road, Downpatrick or at the Council Offices in Monaghan Row, Newry.
To track current planning applications, find out about application fees, access information to help you make your planning application, find out if you need planning permission or to download an application form visit the Planning Portal
You can contact the Planning Service on 0300 200 7830
Anthony McKay - Planning Manager firstname.lastname@example.org