Complaints Privacy Notice
Key Contact Details
Name: Gerard McBride
Address: Downshire Civic Centre, Downshire Estate, Ardglass Road, Downpatrick, BT30 6GQ
Phone Number:0300 013 4000
The type of personal information we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Personal information (name, address, phone number and email address)
- Specific details of your complaint.
How we get your personal information and why we collect it
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- Enable us to carry out investigations into your complaint
- Provide a response and agree appropriate actions
- Learn from the experience to inform change in policy and/or process
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources in the following scenarios:
The Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman, if you decide to submit your complaint to the Ombudsman’s office for further investigation after having exhausted Council’s internal complaints process.
We use the information that you have given us in order to
- Fully investigate your complaint
- Improve our services
We may share this information
- Internally with Council staff who are involved in providing this service and where necessary, between internal departments with the purpose of supporting an effective delivery of the complaints, compliment and comment service.
- It may also be shared with the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman if you decide to submit your complaint to the Ombudsman’s office for further investigation after having exhausted Council’s internal complaints process.
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- Your consent.
- We have a legal obligation.
- We need it to perform a public task.
How we store your personal information
Personal data is held and stored by Council in a safe and secure manner in compliance with Data Protection legislation and in line with Council’s Records Retention and Disposal Schedule. Your information is stored either on a secure server or at a staffed location. We keep personal information (name, address, phone number and email address) and specific details of your complaint for up to 5 years. We will then dispose of this information by deleting digital records and physical files.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us if you wish to make a request (see ‘Key Contact details’ above).
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us (see ‘Key Contact details’ above).
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk