Big Spring Clean
Big Spring Clean is a campaign run by Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful at www.keepnorthernirelandbeautiful.org to encourage groups to carry out clean ups in their community. Register your Big Spring Clean to include it on the national Big Spring clean statistics. You will receive a campaign pack.
The Council also supports the campaign and can assist groups at a local level by providing on loan litterpickers, bags, hi-viz vests and gloves along with a free collection of bags of waste. You must give us at least two weeks’ notice.
To borrow equipment for your clean up, please email:
Organising a Safe Clean Up
Groups or schools are responsible for:
- the health and safety of clean ups they organise
- arranging insurance cover for clean ups they organise
- ensuring, where required, landowner’s permission to carry out clean ups is obtained.
We will provide groups and schools with a copy of Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful ‘Organising a Clean-up – Hints and Tips Guide’ and would recommend that they read it fully before starting any clean up activity.
Important Information About Removal of Collected Waste
The Council can offer a free waste removal for clean ups carried out by groups and schools as long as they are completed in the Newry, Mourne and Down District Council area.
When you contact us you will need to be able to give us:
- the date of your clean up
- location where waste will be left for collection (this must be safe and secure)
- time the collection is required
- your contact details including mobile number and email address.
We provide groups and schools with clear bags. Where possible we would ask that any recyclable material collected is separated from general waste.
To receive a free litter clean up kit to keep see our Down Your Street scheme.
Pupils from St Malachy’s Primary School Newry with McDonald’s staff undertake a Big Spring Clean of Carnegat, Newry.