- Access to Council Offices and Public Buildings
- Bin Collections & Recycling
- Births, Deaths, Marriages & Civil Partnerships
- Business Support & Self Employed
- Car Parking, Charges & Enforcement
- Communities & How You Can Help?
- Dogs and Animal Welfare
- General News
- Grants & Funding
- Outdoor Recreation, Leisure & Sport
- Planning, Licensing & Building Control
- Public Toilets
03.10.2020 Statement from Council Chairperson in COVID-19 Appeal
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council Chairperson, Councillor Laura Devlin said: “This evening I am appealing directly to each resident of Newry, Mourne and Down, asking them to do everything in their power to stem the rising number of COVID-19 cases in the district.
“This is your chance to do your bit, right now, to help prevent us going back into lockdown. We must act quickly to protect ourselves, our loved ones and the wider community. Many of you will, by now, have seen that in the past 24 hours alone 934 people tested positive for COVID-19 across Northern Ireland, 182 of which were in Newry, Mourne and Down. By now, we know just how quickly this dangerous virus can spread.
“I implore you to think about your actions over the weekend and follow the public health guidance. When out and about – remember to socially distance and wear a face covering where required. Act responsibly if you are visiting our local shops or hospitality venues. Thank you to all those who have been doing so. For those who haven’t – you must take this virus seriously. This virus can kill and does kill. Now is the time for action.”
ONE DISTRICT-ONE MESSAGE
Follow the Rules
The Council is appealing to everyone to take personal responsibility for their health and safety, and to protect their families and others by adhering to the COVID-19 guidelines. Please follow the government advice:
- Social distance - keep 2metres apart (where possible)
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow, or a tissue and dispose in a bin
- Don’t touch your face *Wash your hands often or use hand sanitiser regularly
- Wear a face mask when in a public area indoors
- Download the StopCovid App
If you have recent onset of any of the symptoms of COVID-19:
- A new continuous cough
- A high temperature
- A loss, or change in, your normal sense of smell or taste YOU AND YOUR HOUSEHOLD must isolate at home and arrange to have a test. Phone 119 or book online at www.nhs.uk/ask-for-a-coronavirus-test
We have collated a number of useful links for you to check during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Public Health Agency NI
Public Health Agency Video-What can I do to reduce my risk of catching COVID-19?
World Health Organization (WHO)