Sandbag Distribution Protocol
Due to the current wet weather conditions, as a precautionary measure flood agencies have placed a limited amount of sand bags within strategic locations throughout Newry, Mourne and Down that are at risk of significant flooding.
- Please note that Newry, Mourne and Down District Council assists agencies with the distribution of sandbags only in an emergency situation and does not supply sandbags to individuals and/or organisations.
- Newry, Mourne and Down District Council will not be able to respond to requests for sandbags and therefore should not be contacted.
- If your property is in danger of flooding please call the flood incident line on 0300 2000 100. This number is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you ring, a member of staff will take your details and contact the right agency on your behalf. The allocation of sandbags is restricted to eight per household.
Please be advised that it is the responsibility of the person/householder/property owner to:
- Safety position sandbags.
- Ensure no gullies or drainage systems are being blocked.
- Retain and store sandbags after use in a dry place for re-use as long as long as they remain uncontaminated.
- If sandbags become contaminated, when flooding has ceased take them out to the garden and empty them, as sunlight acts as a natural disinfectant.
- Maintain regular checks on condition and position of sandbags to ensure do not become a tripping hazard or bust and wash in to clog drains.