Google Translate is not 100% accurate

Council Services

Please find the different Council services below:

Weekly Bin Collections

Food Waste Recycling

From April 2017, Council's across Northern Ireland are required to provide receptacles for the collection of Food Waste. To meet this requirement Newry, Mourne and Down District Council has distributed Brown bins to all householders, to dispose of their food waste.

A 140 litre Brown bin, a food waste kitchen caddy, roll of compostable liners, and an information leaflet will be delivered to all residents that were not on the existing brown bin collection scheme.

Information leaflets are available for download to advise residents what is acceptable to put in the food waste bin, and will also notify you of when to present your Brown bin for collection. If you do not have an inforamtion leafet, you can download one via the Council website:

Brown bins will be collected on a fortnightly basis and a collection schedule will be advised in due course.
In the meantime, if you do not have a Brown bin, please contact 0300 013 2233

Food Waste Recycling - for more information and a copy of your collection calendar Click Here

For Black bin and Blue bin Collection Information in former Down district area Click Here

For more information about your bin service in the former Newry & Mourne district area Click here

Additional Information for Refuse Services Click Here

 Leisure Information

 For Leisure centre information please visit the old Councils' web pages on:

Summer Scheme Registration Form - 2017 Download: Click Here 

Latest Information:

-Kilkeel Leisure Cemtre's new Swimming pool Programme

-Newry Leisure Centre's Admission policy

Newry leisure Centre currently operates the following admission policy for its users. All children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by a responsible adult (at least 16 years old) at all times.

An adult (aged 16 years or over) may accompany:

  • child under the age of 4
  • children where at least one of the children is aged over 4 years.

Flume Admission:
The centre operates a height restriction of 1.2 metres fro flume users.

Property Certificates

Property certificates form part of the legal searches that solicitors have to undertake on behalf of their clients who are buying or selling property.

The standard property certificate covers a search period of ten years back from the date of the application, the relevant time period as recommended by the Law Society, but for a supplemental fee a longer search period can be carried out. The search is of the Council’s records in respect of the property so as to be aware of any know outstanding breaches of legislation for which the Council has responsibility. The postal number and street name where relevant is also confirmed.

All Property Certificates (for all areas within our Council District) are administered by the property certificate section of Newry Mourne and Down District Council and this section is based in O Hagan House, Newry. They distribute the application and map electronically around other departments to answer questions specific to them. Once all replies have been received the answers are merged into a single official property certificate and this and supporting paperwork are returned to the requesting solicitors.

Each application requires a completed application form, a map with the location of the property clearly outlined in red and the appropriate fee. Cheques to be made payable to Newry, Mourne and Down District Council. All applications to be addressed to

Property Certificates Section
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
O Hagan House
Monaghan Row
BT35 8DJ


Standard Property Certificate (10 yrs back from date of application) £60.00
Extended Property Certificate (back to 1973) £85.00

Application form for property certificate: Click Here

If you are unsure which Council deals with your property here is a useful link which identifies which Council area you need to send your application to.


Building Control Application Forms

Building Regulations Application Form - Building Notice: Click here

Building Regulations Application Form - Full Plan: Click here

Building Regulations Application Form - Regurlarisation: Click here


Registration Office

The Registration Office of the Council is responsible for the registration of Births, Marriages, Civil Partnerships and Deaths in Down District.

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 09:30 - 12:30 and 14:00 - 16:00

A queuing system is in operation.  

Customers should arrive 30 minutes before the stipulated closing times.  

Although every effort is made to see all waiting customers, there may be occasions when customers will be asked to return at a later time/date.

Down District Address & Telephone Number:

Registration Office 
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
Downshire Civic Centre
Downshire Estate
Ardglass Road
BT30 6GQ

Tel: 028 4461 0800

Newry & Mourne District Address & Telephone Number:

Registration Office 
Newry, Mourne and Down District Council
Town Hall,
Bank Parade
BT35 6HR

Tel: 028 302 61512

Dog Licence

In order to licence a dog it must be micro-chipped.

Newry, Mourne and Down Council's online dog licencing service is provided in conjunction with the Council’s software provider Tascomi through a new service called Council Direct.

Before you can licence your dog you will need to create an account for Council Direct – follow instructions given on the link below. Login details will still work for residents who previously used Newry and Mourne District Council’s online dog licencing system. There will be other services for residents and businesses added to Council Direct in the near future.

Applicants will be required to provide evidence in relation to concessions e.g. birth certificate/pension book, proof of income support or housing benefit, or a letter from the vet stating your dog is neutered/sterilised. Your dog licence cannot be issued without providing this proof and failure to do so may result in your licence being void and you may be liable to a maximum £80.00 fixed penalty.

Please note: In order to licence a dog it must be micro-chipped.

Click Here: 

Alternatively, download a form and return it to your local office.

Newry & Mourne District Dog Licence Application/Renewal Form  Click Here 

Down District Information/Dog Licence Application/Renewal Form Click Here

Fill in the form below and we will contact you as soon as possible.