The blue bin is for recycling only. Recycling helps the Council make savings on disposing of waste which means we can do more for you and your family, as well as helping the environment.
We need your help to ensure that we can recycle all the materials collected properly. Here are some important things you can do to help:
- Put all your materials clean, dry and loose into the bin.
- Make sure all food and liquid is removed.
- Separate out recyclable components eg separate an Easter egg box into plastic, foil and the cardboard.
Please recycle only the following materials in your blue bin:
- Paper: newspaper, magazines, brochures, catalogues, phone books, Christmas cards, greeting cards, envelopes, brown paper, flyers, junk mail, envelopes, hardback and paperback books, office paper, disposable paper plates.
- Cardboard / light card: all cardboard boxes and card packaging including cereal boxes, kitchen / toilet rolls ends, etc.
- Cans and tins: food and drinks cans – please wash out. Metal jar lids.
- Aerosols: empty hair spray, air fresheners, body sprays etc.
- Plastic bottles: plastic milk, juice and soft drink bottles, washing–up liquid bottles, shampoo bottles, medicine bottles, bleach bottles, detergent bottles, household cleaner bottles, sauce bottles, bottle tops, plastic jar lids etc.
- Plastic Containers: butter, margarine, yogurt pots, food trays, takeaway containers, disposable cups, plastic egg cartons – please wash out.
- Cartons: drinks cartons, soups, milk – please wash out.
Important information about glass recycling:
- All residents living in the Newry, Mourne and Down area can now recycle glass in their blue/green bins.
- Mixed Glass bottle and jars only: including wine, beer, spirit bottles, jam, coffee jars, sauce and medicine bottles. All glass bottles and jars must be empty and rinsed out.
- Other types of glass cannot be recycled in the blue bin i.e. drinking glasses, glass cookware, light bulbs, mirrors, window glass. This is because other types of glass do not melt at the same temperature as bottle and jars. If they enter the glass recycling process, it can result in new containers being rejected.
Please do not put the following items in your blue bin:
- Plastic bags, film and food wrapping.
- Wet or dirty paper including napkins, tissues, kitchen roll and wallpaper.
- Food/ general waste or any items contaminated with food.
- Medical waste, nappies and other sanitary products.
- Polystyrene cups, trays and packaging including takeaway containers and protective packaging.
- Cosmetic/ toothpaste tubes and nail polish bottles.
IF IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT!
Contamination is a serious problem and can lead to tonnes of recyclable material being landfilled. Blue bins containing the wrong material will not be emptied.
- To prevent odour build up, remember to empty and wash all tins, cans and plastic containers.
- To achieve best use of space in your bin, squash plastic bottles, tins and cans.
- Remove lids from all plastic bottles.
If you need any further information, please contact:
Waste Department Customer Services Section
Telephone: 0300 013 2233